Thursday, August 11, 2005

some late night write

Tonight I perused Stephen King's On Writing for a little while. It made me feel better about my WIP's condition right now. Specifically, there was a line about endings:
"And why worry about the ending anyway? Why be such a control freak? Sooner or
later every story comes out somewhere."

I partly realize what my problem is lately, why I'm experiencing this anxiety about the process. I'm scared that I won't be able to get it all in. I'm rushing things because I think, "Okay I need to gear towards the ending now because I only have this many words/pages left until my goal of 100k." That isn't the right way to think, I realize now. Sure it would be convenient if my ending happened to come at that 100k mark or somewhere close; but is it likely to happen that way? Probably not. All it's doing is making me anticipate something that I haven't gotten to yet, which makes what I'm doing now all that much more forced, rushed and restricted.

I need to trust myself. I need to focus on where I'm at in the story now, not where I'm ultimately going to end up. I'm going to relax a little about the whole "I need to know the ending now, and exactly how it comes about" and just let myself write without worrying how long it will take to end the story, without anticipating that point where I will write "The End." I'll get there when I get there.

Tonight: added 854 words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home