Friday, July 29, 2005

the official halfway point of my novel

I wrote 2,239 words today, bringing total word count (according to Word, anyway) to:
50,415 words

Cool! And I'm in the 'serious' stuff now. My M.C. just got the phone call that's changing everything, knocking her life out of the little spin she had going and making her deal with some real serious shit. (at least in my mind) Sorry, toots, that little romance you had going is going to come to a screeching halt...don't quite know how I'm going to deal with that now that I'm here, but I'll find a way (and totally change it in the next draft, I'm sure)

Well, not to mix joy with doubt but, that's to be expected of a "writer" I suppose. I decided to prevent my husband from asking me any further about the draft by reading some parts aloud to him; gee, that was a mistake. Not only did I get the opportunity to hear how clunky some parts where, which is not a big deal except it just sounded that much worse aloud, I also got to hear my TONE in the writing. I feel like I'm writing for a 15 year old. Not that that's bad, but it's not really my intention...although, starting out with little intention it's hard to say that it's not my intention. Anyway, that kinda made me depressed. Thinking, all this sounds like a little high school drama, even though it's happening to a 25 year old...I can make the excuse that she's emotionally immature (3rd person limited), and that's part of what this book is about, but I could also say that the writing tone is a reflection of my own mental state...so it's not totally reassuring. But then I just remind myself, I'm not trying to write the freakin' Great American Novel here. This isn't the book I'll be spending the rest of my life with.

And also, can you name a guy who's supposed to be Italian/Mexican "Kevin"?? LOL, that didn't quite happen right. I've decided I'm going to take the Italian heritage out, make that side American. Things like this are funny to me because they're so obvious, but that's what happens when you have a character and you need to name the sucker without quite knowing what his background is. And now I have some time to ignore it, because the protag won't be spending any time with his family in the upcoming 20-50 pages, at least I don't think. So I just have to make sure that no one's Italian in his family; damn, I'll have to erase that dialogue about him visiting his relatives in Italy, LOL. Incidentally, I had thought about naming him "A.J." for "Antonio Juan" when my husband graciously pointed out those are the two most generic names in Italian & Spanish...so I'm sticking with Kevin for now, as a working name.

Sure, it's a little anticlimactic, but I hit 50k!!!! I know the last half of the book will go a lot faster now that I have a routine down, now that I've solidified my commitment to EVERY DAY practically (I do take weekends off, mostly because we're usually not at home). Maximum 5 weeks, as long as I can keep my schedule and nothing tragic happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home