Tuesday, November 01, 2005

NaNoWriMo begins - 913 words today



I've been gone for a short bit, but I'll be back all during this month, chronicling my first year's experience with National Novel Writing Month.

I come back to writing with a sense of apprehension. This summer I finished my first full draft of a novel, only to come back a month later and see that really, it is not a novel. It is a bunch of words strung together lazily with the constant mantra of "I don't care if what I'm writing is crappy, I'm just getting the words out." Well, the words came out, but they weren't all that great. It's one of those things that you're not sure can ever be made to shine.

So, this is my new opportunity to write well - this is the challenge. Shit, I can type crap all day, anybody can - it's writing something that actually says something beyond this surface crap that people want. So, I'll try to create that.

I've started writing my opening scene, and Word says I have 913 words. That's a good start, but I'll have to step up the game in future days. I'm happy with that for now. Tonight I'm going to review my notes made in October and start fresh tomorrow. The first day is not always the hardest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home